Re: Logical Replication of sequences

From: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Hou, Zhijie/侯 志杰 <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Logical Replication of sequences
Date: 2024-08-06 04:54:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 6, 2024 at 9:54 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > But that would lead to maintaining all sequence-sync of each
> > > subscription by launcher. Say there are 100 sequences per subscription
> > > and some of them from each subscription are failing due to some
> > > reasons then the launcher will be responsible for ensuring all the
> > > sequences are synced. I think it would be better to handle
> > > per-subscription work by the apply worker.
> >
> > I thought we can give that task to sequence-sync worker. Once sequence
> > sync worker is started by launcher, it keeps on syncing until all the
> > sequences are synced (even failed ones) and then exits only after all
> > are synced; instead of apply worker starting it multiple times for
> > failed sequences. Launcher to start sequence sync worker when signaled
> > by 'alter-sub refresh seq'.
> > But after going through details given by Vignesh in [1], I also see
> > the benefits of using apply worker for this task. Since apply worker
> > is already looping and doing that for table-sync, we can reuse the
> > same code for sequence sync and maintenance will be easy. So looks
> > okay if we go with existing apply worker design.
> >

> Fair enough. However, I was wondering whether apply_worker should exit
> after syncing all sequences for a sequence-only subscription

If apply worker exits, then on next sequence-refresh, we need a way to
wake-up launcher to start apply worker which then will start
table-sync worker. Instead, won't it be better if the launcher starts
table-sync worker directly without the need of apply worker being
present (which I stated earlier).

> or should
> it be there for future commands that can refresh the subscription and
> add additional tables or sequences?

If we stick with apply worker starting table sync worker when needed
by continuously checking seq-sync states ('i'/'r'), then IMO, it is
better that apply-worker stays. But if we want apply-worker to exit
and start only when needed, then why not to start sequence-sync worker
directly for seq-only subscriptions?

thanks
Shveta