Re: [bug fix] prepared transaction might be lost when max_prepared_transactions is zero on the subscriber

From: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] prepared transaction might be lost when max_prepared_transactions is zero on the subscriber
Date: 2024-08-14 04:55:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 9:48 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2024 at 3:37 PM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > There are two reasons to add a shmem-exit callback. One is to support a FATAL,
> > > another one is to support the case that user does the shutdown request while
> > > applying changes. In this case, I think ShutdownPostgres() can be called so that
> > > the session origin may advance.
> >
> > Agree that we need the 'reset' during shutdown flow as well. Details at [1]
> >

> Thanks for the detailed analysis. I agree with your analysis that we
> need to reset the origin information for the shutdown path to avoid it
> being advanced incorrectly. However, the patch doesn't have sufficient
> comments to explain why we need to reset it for both the ERROR and
> Shutdown paths. Can we improve the comments in the patch?
>
> Also, for the ERROR path, can we reset the origin information in
> apply_error_callback()?

Please find v4 attached. Addressed comments in that.

Manual testing done on v4:
1) Error and Fatal case
2) Shutdown after replorigin_session_origin_lsn was set in
apply_handle_prepare() and before EndPrepare was called.
2a) with log_min_messages=debug5. This will result in processing
of shutdown signal by errfinish() before PREPARE is over.
2b) with default log_min_messages. This will result in processing
of shutdown signal by LogicalRepApplyLoop() after ongoing PREPARE is
over.

> BTW, this needs to be backpatched till 16 when it has been introduced
> by the parallel apply feature as part of commit 216a7848. So, can we
> test this patch in back-branches as well?

Sure, will do next.

thanks
Shveta

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Prevent-origin-progress-advancement-if-failed-to-.patch application/octet-stream 6.5 KB