PG in cash till machines

From: Carlos Henrique Reimer <carlos(dot)reimer(at)opendb(dot)com(dot)br>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PG in cash till machines
Date: 2013-05-10 13:43:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

We are developing a solution which will run in thousands of small cash till
machines running Linux and we would like to use PostgreSQL but there is a
insecurity feeling regarding the solution basically because these boxes
would be exposed to an insecure environment and insecure procedures like:
non controlled power outages, untrusted hardware, no appropriate
environment for hardware (dusty, hot) etc...

Our major concern is related to the write-back issues we can face in this
environment. Is there a way to prevent it or a way PG can be configured to
detect write-back configurations? Don't think so, but...

Basically, the question is: is there a way to guaranty a reliable PG
database in an untrusted and insecure environment? Maybe some kind of file
system could give this guaranty, not sure..

--
Reimer
<carlos(dot)reimer(at)opendb(dot)com(dot)br>