Are extensions downgrade-safe?

From: Robert Pang <robertpang(at)google(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Are extensions downgrade-safe?
Date: 2019-08-13 19:01:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi everyone

In PostgreSQL, there are times where a new version of an extension is
included in a minor-version upgrade. If I do a minor-version upgrade of my
PG database, upgrade the version of the extension and then have a need to
revert (downgrade) to the old PG minor version, what should I do with the
extension?

I searched the extensions in contrib and none comes with a downgrade
script. Are extensions that do not come downgrade script downgrade-safe? Or
do I need pg_dump or restore from backup to downgrade safely?

Thanks
Robert