Re: log_statement vs Statistics Collector (pg_stat_database,, etc)

From: Matheus de Oliveira <matioli(dot)matheus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nik Tek <niktek2005(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log_statement vs Statistics Collector (pg_stat_database,, etc)
Date: 2015-12-27 13:35:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 7:32 PM, Nik Tek <niktek2005(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I wanted to capture all the DML statements executed in the database
> information (execution time, ).
>
> Question:
> Can anyone point me pros and cons on either of the approaches.
>
> In my testing, I haven't found any performance degrade on application
> operations when enabled the additional logging (below logging).

Besides log_min_duration_statement, you can use tools like
pg_stat_statements [1] and POWA [2]. POWA authors even did a comparison of
performance impact of having log_min_duration_statement (to latter process
with pgBadger), using POWA extension and nothing, see [3].

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgstatstatements.html
[2] http://dalibo.github.io/powa/
[3] https://github.com/dalibo/powa/wiki/POWA-vs-pgBadger

--