Re: encrypt psql password in unix script

From: Steve Midgley <science(at)misuse(dot)org>
To: Suresh Raja <suresh(dot)rajaabc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: encrypt psql password in unix script
Date: 2015-07-08 19:01:02
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

My suggestion is to put it in an environment variable and set that variable
from a shell startup script that is secured with permissions. (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/libpq-envars.html)

If you can't do that, the only other method I've used is to setup Postgres
with Ansible, and store the Pg passwords in an ansible vault, which is
encrypted. Ansible asks for the decrypt key when it runs.

Steve