Re: Sales report by month and item category

From: Steve Midgley <science(at)misuse(dot)org>
To: "Richard RK(dot) Klingler" <richard(at)klingler(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sales report by month and item category
Date: 2015-08-06 21:36:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

If I'm reading your question right, you want to use a group by statement
based on the category field of the table (or join table). You won't get a
flat readout like you show, but you would get a row based output that way:

Date | Category | Count
xyz | Bikes | 233
xyz | Cars | 324

If you don't have a category field, add one to the table somehow for every
product - that should make it work.

If you want Null (no data) fields to show up in your report, there are a
few ways to do that. Off the top of my head maybe using "coalesce" to
convert null to "0" would work (be careful as this can change averages
etc). Sometimes a left/right or outer join will work and won't have the
problem with summary data like coalesce.

Steve