Re: Stucks in the middle

From: Steve Midgley <science(at)misuse(dot)org>
To: Yevgeny <jebjick(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stucks in the middle
Date: 2015-12-29 18:23:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 3:11 AM, Yevgeny <jebjick(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem. Sometimes the whole sites stucks in the middle (doesn't
> matter which page is opened) because of some sql issue.
> When i reboot postresql it starts working good immediately.
> But when it's stuck i can see in the log that new and new queries are
> running, meaning it's stuck only for my session.
>
> What can be a reason and how can i solve this problem?

There are a lot of possible reasons, and I think you'll need to provide
more details to get any accuracy on guesses from the list. Here are a few
ideas:

- You have a middle tier app which is failing to release cursor or other
type of open query
- You have a deadlock situation in Pg where you are mutually locking a
row in some way that prevents your process from completing
- You are executing a query that is very long running (not optimized) so
your connection appears blocked but is in fact just taking forever to
complete

Steve