Re: Optionally automatically disable logical replication subscriptions on error

From: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Smith, Peter" <peters(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2021-12-07 00:22:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 3:06 AM Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> My concern about disabling a subscription in response to *any* error is that people may find the feature does more harm than good. Disabling the subscription in response to an occasional deadlock against other database users, or occasional resource pressure, might annoy people and lead to the feature simply not being used.

I can understand this point of view.
It kind of suggests to me the possibility of something like a
configurable timeout (e.g. disable the subscription if the same error
has occurred for more than X minutes) or, similarly, perhaps if some
threshold has been reached (e.g. same error has occurred more than X
times), but I think that this was previously suggested by Peter Smith
and the idea wasn't looked upon all that favorably?

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia