LDAP Authentication

From: Roger Tannous <roger(dot)tannous(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: LDAP Authentication
Date: 2023-08-21 08:42:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

In section 21.10 LDAP Authentication
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-ldap.html> of the
documentation, it says that the DB *user must already exist in the database
before LDAP can be used for authentication*.

I'm checking the possibility to use LDAP Authentication with Postgres, but
I'm confused about the user creation that must be initially done regarding
the value of the password.

Suppose I create user_x with pass_x, this user will be able to connect to
the DB using these credentials and, of course, depending on the role
assigned to them.

But once I configure LDAP authentication on the database server, user_x has
to connect to the database according to whatever is set up in LDAP, and the
initially configured password becomes obsolete ? Is that correct ?

Thank you in advance,
Roger