Row-level Security vs Application-level authz

From: Darin Gordon <darinc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Row-level Security vs Application-level authz
Date: 2015-02-21 20:49:44
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to understand the extent that row level security in postgresql
9.5 may replace, or augment, application-level access control.

I have a fully implemented application-level access control policy. It's
not clear to me how I will integrate or replace it with RLS.

Craig Ringer mentioned in a blog post:
"Most importantly, row-security is pluggable – in addition to looking
policies up from the system catalogs, it’s also possible to use a policy
hook to supply arbitrary policy from extensions. "

It seems that my options will be to record authorization into the catalog
or write an extension?

Thanks

Darin