Re: Postgres UPGRADE from 9.2 to 9.4

From: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres UPGRADE from 9.2 to 9.4
Date: 2016-09-07 22:55:45
Lists: pgsql-general

> Or if you want, upgrade on your existing provider first, then setup
> streaming replication. But no matter what, pg_upgrade will require some
> form of downtime.
>
> You could also use either Slony or londiste to directly migrate from
> Rackspace to an EC2 instance on 9.5; no need for DMS at all. That has the
> added benefit of allowing you to switch to a new version with virtually
> zero downtime (as in seconds if you script it) and allowing you to maintain
> the old version (along with any new data changes) in case you need to fail
> back (without data loss).
>
> Keep in mind that in this case you're really only using DMS as a form of
> replication, so you might be better off just sticking with Postgres tools.

I'll be using DMS to migrate from an EC2 Instance to RDS instance. I won't
be using EC2 on production environment, so to migrate to a RDS I need to
use DMS...

I got some located servers at Rackspace, this means that I'm not using
Rackspace postgres database service... so If i'd use slony I'd have to
install/configure it on my own.

Thanks for the answers guys... This migration must happen and it will, and
of course I'll keep u updated about how it went.

Patrick