Postgres UPGRADE from 9.2 to 9.4

From: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres UPGRADE from 9.2 to 9.4
Date: 2016-09-06 22:22:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi guys,

I'll be migrating my Postgres 9.2 database from Rackspace to Amazon.

To do that work, I'll be using DMS at amazon... unfortunately DMS needs a
Postgres 9.4+ version at least (
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/pt_br/dms/latest/userguide/CHAP_Introduction.Sources.html)
- So that means that I'll have to upgrade my postgres version.

Questions:

1 - I'll have to upgrade the version on my Master server, right? I can't
upgrade only in a streaming replication slave server, right?

2 - I've never done a Postgres upgrade before, can you give some guide
here? Is usually a easy thing? How long can it take? Is a downtime needed?

Thanks guys,
Patrick