The case of PostgreSQL on NFS Server (II)

From: Octavi Fors <octavi(at)live(dot)unc(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: The case of PostgreSQL on NFS Server (II)
Date: 2015-04-02 20:01:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

this is somehow overlapping one thread which was already posted in this
list here <http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4C22E24C.1040608@air.co.jp>.

However, I'm newbie in PostgreSQL and would need some help from experts on
two aspects. I apologize if these were already implicitely mentioned in the
thread above.

My situation is the following:
1-running postgresql-9.2 server under my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop,
2-user postgres created on the system,
3-two databases with several tables created, populated and owned by
postgres,
4-these databases can be queried (SELECT, INSERT, etc.) by any system
user of my desktop.

Now here are my two questions:

a) how can I know where my two databases are stored (I presume in a
directory somewhere in my desktop path)?

b) this is the though one (at least for me ;) For data size reasons, I
want to store my two databases in a NAS which I have mounted via NFS, but
still keeping the postgresql server on my desktop.
I've seen in this message
<http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4C23173F.4060908@air.co.jp> of the
thread above, that NFS noac mounting option is highly recommended.
Apart from this, I don't see how to migrate the databases from my desktop
directory determined in a) to my NAS. Could someone please provide the
steps to accomplish that?

Thanks so much in advance,

--
Octavi Fors