Re: Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table

From: mrtruji <mrtruji(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table
Date: 2015-11-27 02:57:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Sure. I copied my email submisison from my stack exchange posting so
couldn't submit the formatted tables there. Below is an example and you are
correct that features_bin is the newly added column. I mean EMPTY ROW in
that features_bin returns empty.

id | state | features_bin
------------+-------+--------------
23621407_1 | CA |
15892423_1 | CA |
15892423_2 | CA |
15892423_3 | CA |
23614571_2 | CA |
20908052_1 | CA |
23614571_3 | CA |
20908052_2 | CA |
20908052_3 | CA |
20908066_1 | CA |
20908066_2 | CA |
20908066_3 | CA |
20908072_1 | CA |
20908072_2 | CA |
20908072_3 | CA |
20909002_1 | CA |
20909002_2 | CA |
23599675_1 | CA |
23599675_2 | CA |
23599675_3 | CA |
18545613_1 | CA |
18545613_2 | CA |

The stdout for the other query without 'where' ( select id, state,
features_bin from data;) is too messy to show here. The very long binary
array really messes with the formatting but main point is that the row
result starts with | | \x8481e7dec36500 indicating that the id
and state columns are returning empty.