Re: Do not lock temp relations

From: Daniil Davydov <3danissimo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do not lock temp relations
Date: 2024-10-22 11:25:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yes. Our implementation restrictions preclude access to the contents
> of another session's temp tables, but it is not forbidden to do DDL
> on them so long as no content access is required. (Without this,
> it'd be problematic for example to clean out a crashed session's temp
> tables. See the "orphan temporary tables" logic in autovacuum.c.)

Indeed, a potentially dangerous situation may arise when both the
autovacuum and client process attempt to delete the contents of a temporary
namespace. But there is a patch (6faca9ae2878c8f642a2e5748d2dbb2b91341bec)
that protects us from race condition in this case. -- Best regards,
Daniil Davydov.