Re: POC: Extension for adding distributed tracing - pg_tracing

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Anthonin Bonnefoy <anthonin(dot)bonnefoy(at)datadoghq(dot)com>
Subject: Re: POC: Extension for adding distributed tracing - pg_tracing
Date: 2023-07-25 10:16:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Anthonin,

> I have a working prototype of a pg_tracing extension and wanted some feedback on the design and architecture.

The patch looks very interesting, thanks for working on it and for
sharing. The facts that the patch doesn't change the core except for
two lines in instrument.{c.h} and that is uses pull-based model:

> - Collect the spans through a new pg_tracing_spans() function output

... IMO were the right design decisions. The patch lacks the
documentation, but this is OK for a PoC.

I added the patch to the nearest CF [1]. Let's see what the rest of
the community thinks.

Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev