Re: Physical replication from x86_64 to ARM64

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Jan Mußler <jan(dot)mussler(at)zalando(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Physical replication from x86_64 to ARM64
Date: 2021-09-14 11:49:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Jan,

> Initial experiments show no observable problems when copying PGDATA or in
fact using physical streaming replication between the two CPU architectures.

That's an interesting result. The topic of physical replication
compatibility interested me much back in 2017 and I raised this question on
PGCon [1]. As I recall the compatibility is not guaranteed, nor tested, and
not going to be, because the community doesn't have resources for this. The
consensus was that to migrate without downtime the user has to use logical
replication. Thus what you observe should be considered a hack, and if
something will go wrong, you are on your own.

Of course, there is a possibility that something has changed in the past
four years. I'm sure somebody on the mailing list will correct me in this
case.

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2017_Developer_Meeting

--
Best regards,