Re: PostgreSQL's approach to assertion usage: seeking best practices

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: kuznetsovam(at)altlinux(dot)org, nickel(at)altlinux(dot)org, egori(at)altlinux(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL's approach to assertion usage: seeking best practices
Date: 2024-08-12 10:55:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Alexander,

> As part of this effort, we conducted static analysis using Svace, which raised some questions regarding the use of the Assert() function.
> We were unable to find clear answers in the documentation or previous discussions and would greatly appreciate your insights,
> as these will influence how we approach future patch submissions:
>
> 1. General purpose of Assert() function:
> - Is the primary purpose of the Assert() function to:
> - Inform developers of the assumptions made in the code,
> - Facilitate testing of new builds with assertions enabled,
> - Accelerate development by temporarily placing assertions where defensive code may later be required,
> - Or does it serve some other purpose?
>
> 2. Assertions and defensive code:
> [...]
>
> 3. Approach to fixing flaws:
> [...]

Assert() describes an invariant - e.g. x should never be NULL here.
It's present only in the debug builds. It has two purposes. 1. Check
the invariants during the execution of the tests and usage of a debug
build. 2. Serve as a description of the invariant for the developers.
Adding Asserts() is usually a good idea unless the invariant is too
expensive to check and/or complicated to read/understand.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev