Re: Insert 1 million data

From: Olivier Gautherot <ogautherot(at)gautherot(dot)net>
To: Sreejith P <sreejith(at)lifetrenz(dot)com>
Cc: Rohit Rajput <rht(dot)rajput(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Insert 1 million data
Date: 2020-12-29 12:33:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Sreejit,

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 10:56 AM Sreejith P <sreejith(at)lifetrenz(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks Rohit.
>

> After upgrading volume getting following error. Almost same as previous
> one.
>

> We have increased backup volume and run the Job Again . When I reach 900
> thousand records, getting almost similar error again.
>

> - Do I need to turn off auto vaccum ?
> - Shall increase maintance work mem ?

If you're tight on space, my recommendation would be to run the inserts in
small batches (say 10,000 at a time). Don't turn off autovaccum, ever :-)

That being said, if you're suffering this way when creating your database,
my inclination would be to move it with its logs to a disk with more space.
Your server has no scalability and you'll suffer more dramatic crashes very
quickly.

My cent worth...
--
Olivier Gautherot