Fast logical replication jump start with PG 10

From: Olivier Gautherot <olivier(at)gautherot(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fast logical replication jump start with PG 10
Date: 2018-05-25 21:12:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I just sent the question on StackOverflow but realized that this audience
may be more savvy. So sorry in advance for cross-posting...

I'm in the process of upgrading a PG from 9.2 to 10.4. pg_upgrade worked
fine on the master and was rather fast. The problem is that the database is
replicated and I'm planning to switch from streaming to logical. The
problem is that it is rather slow (30 minutes for the master and over 3
hours for the replication, between data transfer and indexes).

Is there a way to speed up the replication or should I rather stick to
streaming replication? As I have only 1 database on the server, it would
not be a show-stopper.

Thanks in advance
Olivier Gautherot
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ogautherot