Re: unable to write 'raise' messages to log file?

From: Olivier Gautherot <olivier(at)gautherot(dot)net>
To: ib(at)ianbellsoftware(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unable to write 'raise' messages to log file?
Date: 2018-05-31 19:15:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 3:07 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 05/31/2018 11:20 AM, Ian Bell wrote:
>
>> I am having considerable difficulty logging information in PL-pgSQL
>> functions by using the ‘RAISE’ statement. I am asking for
>> comments/suggestions on what I am doing wrong.
>>

>> I’ve tried flushing/rotating the log files by executing *‘select
>> pg_rotate_logfile()’* in PSQL but my messages never appear in the log
>> files. I’ve tried calling my PL-pgSQL functions in PSQL, PgAdmin4, OmniDB
>> and ADO.NET but again my messages never appear in the log file.
>>
>> On very rare occasions, I see my messages the log file if I restart the
>> PostgreSql server however restarting the server generally does not flush my
>> messages to the log files.
>>

> Do they show up in a client? For example psql:
>
> [snip]

test_(aklaver)> select testwithbasictypearguments(1, 2.5, 'test');
> LOG: Test.TestWithArguments: i = 1, n = 2.5, t = test
> testwithbasictypearguments
> 0
> (1 row)
>
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com

I've used the logs successfully here. What are the values of
log_min_messages and log_min_error_statement in your postgresql.conf?

Olivier Gautherot