Re: Introduction

From: "McCormick, Jeff" <jeff(dot)mccormick(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>
To: sprin(at)fastmail(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-pkg-docker(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Introduction
Date: 2014-09-04 13:33:13
Lists: pgsql-pkg-docker

Hi Steffen,

since I'm working on something very related to your post, thought I would
chime in with my experiences in building a soon to be announced
postgres-docker related product (next week the product is announced).

When I went to build a DNS solution for the postgres docker stuff I'm
doing, I found that consul.io doesn't support PTR records in it's current
release, this is used for doing reverse DNS lookups. Postgres utilizes
reverse DNS lookups when the master postgres receives a client request from
a standby postgres. I have entered a feature request with the consul team
regarding PTR support.

So I had to move off of consul.io (and registrator) and roll my own
DNS-to-Docker solution. This amounted to utilizing named/bind for the DNS
server and writing my own DNS bridge loosely based on registrator, in
particular the docker client API library that registrator used. With a
small amount of code, I now can register the Docker container IP addresses
along with PTR records when a postgres container is instantiated.

regards

Jeff McCormick
jeff(dot)mccormick(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com