How to switch file systems with least downtime?

From: Moshe Jacobson <moshe(at)neadwerx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to switch file systems with least downtime?
Date: 2013-09-14 12:32:25
Lists: pgsql-general

How do I migrate my 9.1 directory to a new file system with the least
downtime possible?

I don't know if this makes any difference, but my pg_xlog directory is on
its own volume as well, so I would have to unmount it and remount it as
well, but I would not have to copy over my xlogs.

I figure the first part of this is to do a pg_start_backup() and rsync the
files over., bu I'm not sure what to do after that.

Thanks for your help.

Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering
2323 Cumberland Parkway, Suite 201 | Atlanta, GA 30339
moshe(at)neadwerx(dot)com | www.neadwerx.com

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle