Re: CentOS 6 and Postgresql 9.3.4 from PGDG

From: Moshe Jacobson <moshe(at)neadwerx(dot)com>
To: Steve Clark <sclark(at)netwolves(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CentOS 6 and Postgresql 9.3.4 from PGDG
Date: 2014-04-14 13:02:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Steve Clark <sclark(at)netwolves(dot)com> wrote:

> CentOS 6 supplies 8.4.20 but I want to use hot standby - the issue is that
> the PGDG
> packages don't install into the "usual place" they are installed in
> version specific directories,
> including the data, binaries, libraries etc. How do people deal with this
> when for years they
> have been using postgres and "stuff" is in standard directories not
> version specific directories?

It's actually nicer that it uses a version specific directory, IMO, since
you can have two versions installed simultaneously for upgrade purposes.
I just create symlinks data/ and backups/ in /var/lib/pgsql to point to the
dirs of the same names under the 9.3/ directory.

Moshe Jacobson
Manager of Systems Engineering, Nead Werx Inc. <http://www.neadwerx.com>
2323 Cumberland Parkway · Suite 201 · Atlanta, GA 30339

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle