Re: Streaming replication slave crash

From: Quentin Hartman <qhartman(at)direwolfdigital(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Streaming replication slave crash
Date: 2013-03-29 17:10:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Quentin Hartman <qhartman(at)direwolfdigital(dot)com> writes:
> > On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> What process did you use for setting up the slave?
>
> > I used an rsync from the master while both were stopped.
>
> If the master was shut down cleanly (not -m immediate) then the bug fix
> I was thinking about wouldn't explain this. The fact that the panic
> didn't recur after restarting seems to void that theory as well. I'm
> not sure what to make of that angle.

Yes, it was shut down cleanly. A good thought, but I don't think it's
relevant in this case.

> Can you determine which table is being complained of in the failure
> message, ie, what has relfilenode 63370 in database 63229? If so it
> would be interesting to know what was being done to that table on the
> master.

Good point! Looking deeper into that, it's actually one of our smaller
tables, and it doesn't seem to have any corruption, on either server. I was
able to select all the records from it and the content seems sane. The only
thing that would have been happening on that table is an INSERT or UPDATE.

I think I'm going to run with the spurious EC2 hiccup explanation. I'm
comfortable with that given the extra due diligence I've done with your
(and Lonni's) guidance.

Thanks!

QH