Re: [PoC] Reducing planning time when tables have many partitions

From: Yuya Watari <watari(dot)yuya(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Zhang Mingli <zmlpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Reducing planning time when tables have many partitions
Date: 2023-08-07 08:19:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 10:29 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> If you think that the verification is important to catch bugs, you may want to encapsulate it with an #ifdef .. #endif such that the block within is not compiled by default. See OPTIMIZER_DEBUG for example.

In my opinion, verifying the iteration results is only necessary to
avoid introducing bugs while developing this patch. The verification
is too excessive for regular development of PostgreSQL. I agree that
we should avoid a significant degradation in assert enabled builds, so
I will consider removing it.

> Do you think that the memory measurement patch I have shared in those threads is useful in itself? If so, I will start another proposal to address it.

For me, who is developing the planner in this thread, the memory
measurement patch is useful. However, most users do not care about
memory usage, so there is room for consideration. For example, making
the metrics optional in EXPLAIN ANALYZE outputs might be better.

--
Best regards,
Yuya Watari