Paging Through Query Result Sets

From: Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org" <psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Paging Through Query Result Sets
Date: 2013-04-19 22:38:32
Lists: psycopg

Hi all,

I would like to be able to page through a result set when there is more
than one screenful of data. Is there a good example of paging through a
query result set in Bash - something like implementing the less command?
Even if I can't scroll backwards through the result set, at least being
able to control the paging forward would be good.

I have seen the notes on fetchmany(), which almost seems to be what I
want. Except that fetchmany(25) will fetch 25 records and that's about
it. Maybe I just need to change the way I code it...

Active State used to have some neat snippets I was able to take advantage
of in the past (for working with text files), and I was looking at this:
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/137270-use-generators-for-fetching-large-db-record-sets/

But I am not certain it really does what I am looking for. Still, I am
fairly certain there is an example of this somewhere I can look at to see
how it is implemented.

Thoughts?

--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate