partitioning question

From: Alex Samad <alex(at)samad(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: partitioning question
Date: 2017-07-30 23:15:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I was about to partition a large (?) approx 3T of data 2B rows into
partition tables but broken up into YYYYMM ...

Now I have been reading about limiting the number of partitions otherwise
it could slow down the parser.

My reasoning for limiting to YYYYMM was that most of the request would be
monthly based.

Should I be making the partitioning based on YYYY instead and have lots
more indexs.

If I have an index on the timestamp field will it help limiting to YYYYMM ?