Re: libpq heartbeat

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
Cc: Marcin Giedz <marcin(dot)giedz(at)arise(dot)pl>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq heartbeat
Date: 2016-10-27 17:29:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Francisco Olarte
<folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com> wrote:
> Merlin:
>
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Francisco Olarte
>> <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com> wrote:
>>> And I'd like to point libpq sessions does not sound to be the best
>>> kind of traffic across a firewall, not a good service / protocol to
>>> expose.
>
>> meh -- it's perfectly fine to expose postgres to the internet as long
>> as you've handled the security concerns.
>
> It is, but handling them is not easy, and you have to deal with things
> like DoS which are not trivial on the server ( as it is a heavy
> service ). It can be done, and sometimes needs to be done, but is not
> a thing to take over lightly.
>
>> This could be over ssh tunnel for example.
>
> In which case it is NOT exposed to the internet. What are you trying to say?

what? ssh can most certainly convey over the internet. I said ssh
*tunnel*; not ssh. With tunneling the ssh endpoint is the client
application. When I built a libpq based intenet facing application
we used a modified pgbouncer to whitelist the parameterized query
strings and to force the auth. We had zero issues.

merlin