Re: benchmarking effective_io_concurrency

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabio Pardi <f(dot)pardi(at)portavita(dot)eu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmarking effective_io_concurrency
Date: 2019-07-22 18:32:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 1:42 AM Fabio Pardi <f(dot)pardi(at)portavita(dot)eu> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I recently spent a bit of time benchmarking effective_io_concurrency on Postgres.
>
> I would like to share my findings with you:
>
> https://portavita.github.io/2019-07-19-PostgreSQL_effective_io_concurrency_benchmarked/
>
> Comments are welcome.

I did very similar test a few years back and came up with very similar results:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHyXU0yiVvfQAnR9cyH=HWh1WbLRsioe=mzRJTHwtr=2azsTdQ@mail.gmail.com

effective_io_concurrency is an oft overlooked tuning parameter and I'm
curious if the underlying facility (posix_fadvise) can't be used for
more types of queries. For ssd storage, which is increasingly common
these days, it really pays of to crank it with few downsides from my
measurement.

merlin