Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Soumyadeep Chakraborty <soumyadeep2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexandra Wang <lewang(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Taylor Vesely <tvesely(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Ashwin Agrawal <aagrawal(at)pivotal(dot)io>, DEV_OPS <devops(at)ww-it(dot)cn>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage
Date: 2020-11-16 12:59:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 4:40 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> master zedstore/pglz zedstore/lz4
> copy 1855 68092 2131
> dump 751 905 811
>
> And the size of the lineitem table (as shown by \d+) is:
>
> master: 64GB
> zedstore/pglz: 51GB
> zedstore/lz4: 20GB
>
> It's mostly expected lz4 beats pglz in performance and compression
> ratio, but this seems a bit too extreme I guess. Per past benchmarks
> (e.g. [1] and [2]) the difference in compression/decompression time
> should be maybe 1-2x or something like that, not 35x like here.

I can't speak to the ratio, but in basic backup/restore scenarios pglz
is absolutely killing me; Performance is just awful; we are cpubound
in backups throughout the department. Installations defaulting to
plgz will make this feature show very poorly.

merlin