Re: Materializing a view by hand

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Materializing a view by hand
Date: 2013-08-14 16:01:46
Lists: pgsql-general

All your view and function creation statements should be in scripts that
you maintain as a kind of best practice. If you've done that, then you can
simply drop/cascade the view you're replacing after you renamed it and then
rebuild the rest of them.

I actually go one step further and put the view creation scripts into a
function: then I can just do 'SELECT RebuildViews();' at appropriate
moments. This typically happens at the very end of the materialization
process switcheroo I have to do if my view has to be available while the
materialization is happening. Postgres 9.4 will make this technique
basically obsolete with the lock-free refresh (Thanks Kevin!).

merlin