Re: convert system from not using a password to using passwords

From: Keith <keith(at)keithf4(dot)com>
To: Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: convert system from not using a password to using passwords
Date: 2015-11-09 22:36:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 5:16 PM, Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu> wrote:

> I inherited a setup where php pages use postgresql databases. Currently
> the php pages use pg_connect with user=postgres and password=’’. I want to
> change this to using a different user that has a password.
>

> 1. First created a user that can access all the databases:
>
> postgres=# CREATE USER web_u1 with PASSWORD '********' CREATEUSER;
>

> 2. Next I changed pg_hba.conf with the entries
>
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
>
> #local all all trust
>
> local all all md5
>

> # IPv4 local connections:
>
> #host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
>
> host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
>

> # IPv6 local connections:
>
> #host all all ::1/128 trust
>
> host all all ::1/128 md5
>

> 3. I changed the php code as follows
>
> $conn = pg_connect("host=localhost port=5432 user=web_u1 dbname=db_name
> password='********'");
>

> This all worked. My problem is the obvious, all pages are broken until I
> update each page that has a pg_connect statement. Is there a way to
> configure the pg_hba.conf file to accept the “user=postgres with no
> password,” if “user=web_u1” with a password is not provided?
>

> Also is there anything I missed in my steps with creating the user with a
> password and updating the pg_hba.conf file?
>

> Thanks
>

> Marc

The third column in those config lines is for the roles (users). You can
define the authentication method per role. "all" is just a keyword for any
role.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

So if you want to allow the "postgres" role to connect with no password,
but restrict the new user to requiring a password you could do.

local all postgres trust
local all web_u1 md5

host all postgres 127.0.0.1/32 trust
host all web_u1 127.0.0.1/32 md5

host all postgres ::1/128 trust
host all web_u1 ::1/128 md5

Then once you've got all your config files fixed, you can remove those
trust lines

Keith