Re: Is there a way to view active connections?

From: Keith <keith(at)keithf4(dot)com>
To: Fred Parkinson <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there a way to view active connections?
Date: 2016-05-24 20:00:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Fred Parkinson <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov> wrote:

> I want to do a server restart, so I issued the command
> pg-ctl -w restart -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> However, the shut down fails:
> pg_ctl: server does not shut down.
>
> Unfortunately, when I try to see who is connected with psql, I get
> FATAL: the database system is shutting down.
>
> Is there any other way to see who is still connected?
>
> Thanks --Fred
>

> *ABAG is moving*.
> Effective Monday May 23, 2016 our mailing address and location will be:
> Association of Bay Area Governments
> 375 Beale Street, Suite 700
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> (415) 820-7900
>
> My email address will remain the same.
> My phone number will be (415) 820-79XX (last two digits remain the same).
> We look forward to seeing you at our new location along with our regional
> partners, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission and the Bay Area Air
> Quality Management District.
> In the meantime, it's business as usual at our current location in Oakland.

Try using the option "-m fast" to either the shutdown or restart command to
pg_ctl

pg-ctl -w restart -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -m fast

This disconnects any sessions currently connected. Thankfully in 9.5, this
has become the default shutdown mode. Prior to 9.5, "-m smart" was the
default which waits for all active connections to disconnect themselves.