Re: upgrade path from PG 8.3 to PG 9.5

From: Keith <keith(at)keithf4(dot)com>
To: ghiureai <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: upgrade path from PG 8.3 to PG 9.5
Date: 2017-02-23 17:57:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 12:39 PM, ghiureai <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca>
wrote:

> Hi List,
> we still have 2 hosts running the old PG 8.3 version, we finally agreed
> to move to PG9.5, please advise what will be the process for this upgrade
> ? the db size for upgrade is 500GB( with 4 table spaces on # volumes)
> ( do I need to move first to PG9.0 and next move up?)
> Isabella
>

> --

The pg_upgrade option is only available from 8.4 and up, so you're only
simple option is a dump and restore. You could look into other logical
replication tools such as slony, mimeo or bucardo that can replicate
between major versions, but there's quite a bit of setup involved in any of
these solutions. I'd recommend the dump restore for the simplest, most
direct method.

You can go directly from 8.3 to 9.5. Just be sure and use the pg_dump from
9.5 to generate the dump file from 8.3.

http://www.slony.info/
https://github.com/omniti-labs/mimeo
https://bucardo.org/wiki/Bucardo