Re: PG_PARTMAN - Create Child With FillFactor

From: Keith <keith(at)keithf4(dot)com>
To: Phani Prathyush Somayajula <phani(dot)somayajula(at)pragmaticplay(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG_PARTMAN - Create Child With FillFactor
Date: 2024-03-24 02:46:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 4:24 AM Phani Prathyush Somayajula <
phani(dot)somayajula(at)pragmaticplay(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>

> I’ve a requirement:
> “I need fill_factor to be
> applied automatically to child tables when they’re created during “Create
> Parent” function in pg_partman. We tried our hands dirty by editing the
> procedure of pg_partman, and yet we didn’t achieve the desired outcome.
> However, we could achieve it using “ALTER TABLE” functionality which we
> inscribed in the procedure *after creation of child tables*. But this is
> not what we wanted to achieve. We require it to run during creation of
> these child tables. We don’t need it to alter after its creation.
>

> Regards,
>
> Phani

The next version of pg_partman that I'm hoping to have out within the next
week or so will have support for inheriting the parent table's relation
options. I believe this will include the fill_factor property.
If you'd like to test it out before then, there is a beta release available
in this PR - https://github.com/pgpartman/pg_partman/pull/615

Hopefully in the future, core PostgreSQL will support inheriting these
table properties.

Keith