Re: Pgoutput not capturing the generated columns

From: Shubham Khanna <khannashubham1197(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajendra Kumar Dangwal <dangwalrajendra888(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, euler(at)eulerto(dot)com
Subject: Re: Pgoutput not capturing the generated columns
Date: 2024-09-13 11:34:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 2:51 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 2:38 AM Shubham Khanna
> <khannashubham1197(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Yes, I missed that point.

> > > Right, apart from that I am not aware of other use cases. If they
> > > have, I would request Euler or Rajendra to share any other use case.

> > > Agreed and that would consume more resources.

> > > Fair enough. Let's see if anyone else has any preference among the
> > > proposed methods or can think of a better way.
> >
> > I have fixed the current issue. I have added the option
> > 'publish_generated_columns' to the publisher side and created the new
> > test cases accordingly.
> > The attached patches contain the desired changes.
> >

> Thank you for updating the patches. I have some comments:
>
> Do we really need to add this option to test_decoding? I think it
> would be good if this improves the test coverage. Otherwise, I'm not
> sure we need this part. If we want to add it, I think it would be
> better to have it in a separate patch.

I have removed the option from the test_decoding file.

> ---
> + <para>
> + If the publisher-side column is also a generated column
> then this option
> + has no effect; the publisher column will be filled as normal with the
> + publisher-side computed or default data.
> + </para>
>
> I don't understand this description. Why does this option have no
> effect if the publisher-side column is a generated column?

The documentation was incorrect. Currently, replicating from a
publisher table with a generated column to a subscriber table with a
generated column will result in an error. This has now been updated.

> ---
> + <para>
> + This parameter can only be set <literal>true</literal> if
> <literal>copy_data</literal> is
> + set to <literal>false</literal>.
> + </para>
>
> If I understand this patch correctly, it doesn't disallow to set
> copy_data to true when the publish_generated_columns option is
> specified. But do we want to disallow it? I think it would be more
> useful and understandable if we allow to use both
> publish_generated_columns (publisher option) and copy_data (subscriber
> option) at the same time.

Support for tablesync with generated columns was not included in the
initial patch, and this was reflected in the documentation. The
functionality for syncing generated column data has been introduced
with the 0002 patch.

The attached v31 patches contain the changes for the same. I won't be
posting the test patch for now. I will share it once this patch has
been stabilized.

Thanks and Regards,
Shubham Khanna.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v31-0001-Enable-support-for-publish_generated_columns-opt.patch application/octet-stream 77.9 KB
v31-0002-Support-replication-of-generated-column-during-i.patch application/octet-stream 14.3 KB