create subscription - improved warning message

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-10-07 02:15:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

WARNING: tables were not subscribed, you will have to run ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION to subscribe the tables

~

When I first encountered the above CREATE SUBSCRIPTION warning message
I thought it was dubious-looking English...

On closer inspection I think the message has some other things that
could be improved:
a) it is quite long which IIUC is generally frowned upon
b) IMO most of the text it is more like a "hint" about what to do

~

PSA a patch which modifies this warning as follows:

BEFORE

test_sub=# create subscription sub1 connection 'host=localhost
port=test_pub' publication pub1 with (connect = false);
WARNING: tables were not subscribed, you will have to run ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION to subscribe the tables
CREATE SUBSCRIPTION

AFTER

test_sub=# create subscription sub1 connection 'host=localhost
port=test_pub' publication pub1 with (connect = false);
WARNING: tables were not subscribed
HINT: You will have to run ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION
to subscribe the tables.
CREATE SUBSCRIPTION

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-create-subscription-warning-message.patch application/octet-stream 9.9 KB