Re: DOCS - pg_replication_slot . Fix the 'inactive_since' description

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DOCS - pg_replication_slot . Fix the 'inactive_since' description
Date: 2024-09-03 07:52:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 3, 2024 at 4:35 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2024 at 10:43:14AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:

> > > +1 for the change. If I had read the document without knowing about
> > > the patch, I too would have interpreted it as a duration.
> > >

> > The suggested change looks good to me as well. I'll wait for a day or
> > two before pushing to see if anyone thinks otherwise.
>
> I'm not 100% convinced the current wording is confusing because:
>
> - the field type is described as a "timestamptz".
> - there is no duration unit in the wording (if we were to describe a duration,
> we would probably add an unit to it, like "The time (in s)...").

Hmm. I assure you it is confusing because in English "The time since"
implies duration, and that makes the sentence contrary to the
timestamptz field type. Indeed, I cited the Chat-GPT's interpretation
above specifically so that people would not just take this as my
opinion.

> That said, if we want to highlight that this is not a duration, what about?
>
> "The time (not duration) since the slot has become inactive."

There is no need to "highlight" anything. To avoid confusion we only
need to say what we mean.

======
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.