Re: BUG #18558: ALTER PUBLICATION fails with unhelpful error on attempt to use system column

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18558: ALTER PUBLICATION fails with unhelpful error on attempt to use system column
Date: 2024-08-02 02:51:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Sorry for my delay getting back to this thread.

Here is an updated patch v3 which has the following changes.

1. API.
The publication_translate_columns function now optionally returns the
Bitmapset* (that it was building anyway). The function comment was
also changed.

The patch is not quite the radical change suggested above [1]. I found
the currently returned 'attarray' is used in multiple places (in
publication_add_relation) so it seemed less invasive to leave those
other publication_translate_columns parameters as-is.

2. Tests.
Patch is now also testing for duplicates in a publication column list

======
[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAApHDvo2i1j_iCFcURx5q7jYe70qk4Ca7J%2B8Dt9_jSMOdooAOA%40mail.gmail.com

Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-fix-new-collist-validation-msg.patch application/octet-stream 6.9 KB