Instrumenting stale replication slots

From: Joseph Hammerman <joe(dot)hammerman(at)datadoghq(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Sanketh Balakrishna <sanketh(dot)balakrishna(at)datadoghq(dot)com>
Subject: Instrumenting stale replication slots
Date: 2023-08-03 17:54:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi admins,

We are looking to regularly create `inactive` logical replication slots
under test conditions so that we can demonstrate that applying
Debezium's heartbeat feature reliably remediates the condition and prevents
stale WALs from accumulating.

Published material from RedHat
<https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_integration/2020-q2/html/debezium_user_guide/debezium-connector-for-postgresql>
states
that by advancing the LSN on the primary with updates that are not captured
by the Replica Set configured to use the slot in question will induce the
state, but we have not yet been able to show this, even with thousands of
updates that are filtered from the Logical Slot.

Does anyone have any advice around mechanically inducing the `inactive`
Logical Replica slot state?

Thanks,
Joe