tcp keepalives not sent during long query

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: tcp keepalives not sent during long query
Date: 2022-12-14 07:55:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

Some users of our database have a NAT firewall and keep a postgres client
(e.g. pgAdmin ) open for hours. To prevent the connection from being killed
by the firewall due to inactivity, we configured tcp_keepalives_idle = 120
so that the server sends keepalives and keeps the connection active. (this
is on debian)

We've recently upgraded from postgres 9.3 to 13 and from debian 6 to 11.
I'm getting the complaint that since the upgrade, the connection breaks.
But only when they run a long query.

Has anything changed in postgres that might cause this? e.g. that
keepalives are only sent when the session is idle?

Thanks
--
Willy-Bas Loos