Re: md5(large_object_id)

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: md5(large_object_id)
Date: 2015-09-22 14:37:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:17 PM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
wrote:

> I am dealing with radiology
> studies aka DICOM data) one would want an md5 function which
> streams in parts of a large object piece by piece using
> md5_update and m5_finalize or some such.
>
> It didn't look like pgcrypto offers a streaming version either.
>
> Anything I am overlooking ?

Hi,

I don't think that it is possible to stream the result of a query anyway,
or is this some neat new feature?
I'm not sure if there is much to be gained from storing such large objects
in a database. Also, the max size of a value is 1GB.
Maybe it would be better to do some file administration in the database,
but not the actual storage. Then you could use a tool that does what you
want on the bare file and maybe store the results in the database.

HTH,

--
Willy-Bas Loos