Re: migrating data from an old postgres version

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>
Cc: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: migrating data from an old postgres version
Date: 2016-07-15 14:12:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 4:02 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>
wrote:

> Make sure to pg_dump -Fc
> (note the flags)
> so that in case you need to do a hard restore (if you’re going from
> postgis 1.x to 2.x) you can run the dump file through the special cleaning
> script.
>
> See postgis documentation notes on “hard upgrade” for full info on doing a
> clean 1->2 upgrade.
>
> If he’s already blown away his old environment then yeah, you’re going to
> have to exactly duplicate it first so you can run 8.4 *and* an old version
> of postgis (have to match major version numbers) and get a clean dump file
> out of it.
>
> P.

Yeah, that perl script really works well, used it a lot.
Only downside is the downtime you need for it, on servers that is.
I really like pg_upgrade, and i have been able to use that since
apt.postgresql.org offers several versions per distro, and includes postgis
too.
Great stuff, upgrade a big db in single minutes of downtime.

--
Willy-Bas Loos