Re: Large data and slow queries

From: Samuel Williams <space(dot)ship(dot)traveller(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large data and slow queries
Date: 2017-04-19 11:35:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Martijn that is a good question. It's because we are only concerned
with a subset of events for this index and this particular query. The
query planner can recognise this and use the index correctly. By doing
this, we reduce the size of the index significantly. In the best case,
where we only wanted a few things, the index was reduced from 21GB to
8MB.