Postgresql in a Virtual Machine

From: Lee Nguyen <leemobile(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine
Date: 2013-11-25 20:01:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

Having attended a few PGCons, I've always heard the remark from a few
presenters and attendees that Postgres shouldn't be run inside a VM. That
bare metal is the only way to go.

Here at work we were entertaining the idea of running our Postgres database
on our VM farm alongside our application vm's. We are planning to run a
few Postgres synchronous replication nodes.

Why shouldn't we run Postgres in a VM? What are the downsides? Does anyone
have any metrics or benchmarks with the latest Postgres?

Thanks!

Lee Nguyen