Re: Forms for entering data into postgresql

From: Chuck Davis <cjgunzel(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forms for entering data into postgresql
Date: 2013-10-12 22:15:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Chuck,

> Could you explain the acronym AP?
>
> I understand that there are lots of situations I have not met yet, so
> this might explain my ignorance, but I don't see what you get from using
> a client-side app over a browser for most databases uses; after all,
> from the user's point of view, it's always tabbing from one field to the
> next (providing the web form is correctly designed, of course)
>
> Also, I would think most data in the form _should_ come from dropdowns
> populated from the database, for obvious reasons of data integrity? It
> certainly is the case in my apps.

For those of us who grew up on real computers the only appropriate way to
get from one input field to the next is hitting the enter key. You know
what that does in a browser...makes efficient data input impossible.
NOBODY should have to hit the tab key to move the cursor to the next
field. Using the mouse is insulting enough to move from one drop down to
the next (which can also be done by hitting the enter key in a real
application). If you are a hunt-and-peck typist, of course, it probably
doesn't make any difference.

Stuff gets to the database by being input by somebody. For Accounts
Payable (AP) that is usually a clerk who enters orders/invoices all day.
There are many input fields involved for item, rate, units, etc., etc.
including sometimes lengthy descriptions. That's how stuff gets into the
database and doing that in a browser is extremely tedious and VERY
inefficient.

For people who are only checking inventory, checking invoice status, order
status, credit status, etc. a browswer interface is superb. Why bother
writing a real application for something that trivial?

The point is, use the right tool for the task. It's not always a browser
and those who think so are showing their ignorance of a huge and varied
technology world.