Re: HA Setup Review

From: akshay polji <akshay(dot)polji(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HA Setup Review
Date: 2024-05-08 07:21:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thank you for your response Ron and apologies for delayed response.

"The *guarantee* that all transactions committed on the primary have been
written to the secondary just before shutting down Primary." -> Is this for
SYNC or ASYNC?

Thanks for clarifying that the transactions would be blocked if the
network/WAN link is down.

"Thus... you leave replication to the remote DR site in asynchronous mode
until that very specific point when you need to guarantee remote
consistency: *just before* you shut down the Primary for patching.

Once the Primary is patched, and replication is restored, then you can
change back to async mode." -- Makes sense now. Thanks a lot for
clarifying.