bi-directional syncing help request

From: Paula Kirsch <pl(dot)kirsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: bi-directional syncing help request
Date: 2013-08-09 14:27:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi. I'm looking for suggestions for the best solution to the following
situation.

I have a database roughly 300 meg with 30 tables.

For fieldwork, a copy is running on my mac laptop where I can pull up
information and add new entries.

The data analysis and further development is done back at the office on a
copy running on a linux server.

The development and analysis work often generates corrections on the field
data input and occasionally results in schema changes.

As a result, the situation is bi-directional, so not a master-slave
replication situation and I'm not a professional dba. It is my personal
research data, so I don't have to worry about other users.

My question is whether there is any recommended best practice for
bi-directional syncing (schema changes would only be one direction, but
data entries could flow both ways)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(I have also posted this question to pgsql-admin)

Paula